Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Where Am I?




I went out to eat with all my daughters last week and enjoyed the evening. I found myself listening to their conversation and realized I am far removed from where they are in their lives. I went to a study group last night and enjoyed the evening. At one point I found myself listening to the conversation and realized I am far removed from their interests too. This has caused me much reflection. I'm passed babies and teenagers, college age children and marriages. I have lots of grandchildren, and feel like I have accumulated some wisdom along the way. But, I would like to know what this spot I am at is called. Obviously, I am not young or middle age. I don't think of myself as old. I'm over 50, but I don't feel like it. I do have that "mature look" with gray hair and wrinkles...

So where am I?

I'm thinking I must almost be at the crest of life, still far away from the peak. If that is the case, then when I peak I want to do a long slow walk down the other side of life. I want the descent to be just as rich and fulfilling as the journey up has been. This is like riding my bike up a big steep hill and feeling the exhilaration of reaching the top and then experiencing the reward of riding along the top before enjoying that smooth, easy ride down. Oh, I'm not ready for it to be the last hill, I want to keep peddling and enjoy the challenge of another hill and another and another...

So how about if I just am. I am happy. I love life. I am in love with my husband and love my children and grandchildren. I am happy that I still ride my bike. I love that I can look back and see where I have been and look ahead and see the road yet to travel. No peaks in sight!

I guess I decided I'm riding the crest. I hope it is a big hill, maybe even a mountain, and that it will last a long, long time.

I feel better now,
Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Yo Mama said...

I think that you are far from the peak. Does that mean that you are still on the crest. The peak implies that then things just go down hill and get worse. Your life is so rich. Oh, and by the way, you felt removed from the conversation because you were so far away across the table behind a big pile of plates.

Kay said...

I am definitely on the crest, far away from the peak. That was a big pile of plates on a very big table! Huh maybe that was the problem. :)

Laura said...

Kay, I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed the evening tonight talking to you. You have a way with words that makes people want to listen. Also, I wanted to let you know that even though I never knew your mother, I do know that you are full of wonderful words of wisdom just as you speak of her so you must be doing a great job at following in her footsteps.

Suzi Hardy said...

Hey sis.
Where ever you are I hope I am there with you. These thoubhts you have shared are making me think about things.
I miss you. I love you.

Unknown said...

I know exactly where I am right now. I am at the hardest steepest part where you have to have some rockclimbing skills...and you wonder why you didn't train harder when you had the chance. You wanna switch? :)

I can't wait to get to the peak, but I know I gotta climb there to enjoy it.

I'm not complaining, just as your weren't bragging that you made it all the way up there. It's just fun to reflect on where you are at once in a while. Cause if you don't take moments to reflect, you never realize what you are learning.

Katina Angola said...

I feel like I am far removed from interests as well, but for different reasons. I enjoy the latin culture...food, music, humor...