Saturday, November 7, 2009

Katie's Challenge

No sugar: Desserts and candy
October 24th - December 15, 2009

The addicts: Katie, Kay, Rachel, Mandy, Katina and Suzi

My sugarless life:

1. After committing to no sugar I am filled with thoughts of temporary insanity. Thoughts of cheating fill my mind. The only thing that keeps me going is not to be the first addict to cave and my determination to win the $25 prize!

2. All my chocolate stashes flashed before my eyes.
E-v-e-r-y-o-n-e of them!

3. Utter panic and the cold sweats kick in when I think about being stash free.

4. The first real challenge: The chocolate birthday cake I made screams, “Eat a piece!” But I didn’t have one piece, not one bite, not one crumb!

5. I bought Halloween candy marked 50% off and laid it on the kitchen table and stared at it all afternoon. Addiction is tough.

6. The sneaks and emotional eating set in. After spending 2 hours with twelve 11 year old girls the stress relieving Hershey Kisses are all I can think about. I circled the candy dish a couple of times telling myself, “I could eat just one and no one would know.” But, I didn't!

7. Wandering aimlessly around the kitchen, looking in Oinky, opening the pantry door looking at the Oreo’s and chocolate covered grahams – is there anything, something that is sweet that would qualify as a sugar free snack. Nada.

8. Hormone levels cause the worse kind of sweets craving there is. Chips, crackers, popcorn…nothing helps. It was a bad junk food day…

9. Consoling one of the other competitors with words of encouragement, “If this is stressing you out, just quit. Maybe one snack a day would be better.” After feeling her pain for a few minutes I finally offered the right support and encouraged her not to give in. STAY STRONG! You can do it! She reminds me several times she is not a quitter.

10. I’m hoping the worse is over when grapes give me the same satisfaction as eating a piece of chocolate. When eating a banana or apple is as exciting as a piece of cake, but I’m still working on the veggies, their not the same as a cookie…yet!

I am enjoying the impressed look of the scoffers and skeptic’s who thought it couldn’t be done!

And oh, the sweet words of Shane saying, “Maybe I should stop eating sweets too…after I eat all the Chocolate Covered Grahams!”

8 comments:

Yo Mama said...

The only time that it's really bad is right after you eat dinner and you think, hmmmm...... I'd like something sweet. Otherwise it's not so bad. ha ha ha!! who am I kidding??? It's tough.

Suzi Hardy said...

ooohhh! I think I belong in that addict list. I am however inspired to play along with you all by myself. So I am starting right now, which will be really hard since just yesterday I made some of my good lovein' chocolate chip cookie dough. And also I guess I am starting a little late but, better now than never. Let the withdrawals begin!!!

Kay Marie said...

Suzi, I added you to the addict list, that makes you offical. :) Good luck!

The Coatney's said...

wow. i would not like to be added to the list. thank you. candy is very, very strong and dominating in this house. sad but true.

Alice Faye said...

Oh if I had just known about this on Ocober 25th. Oh well. Next time:)

Alice Faye said...

24th

The Coatney's said...

fine. i'm trying it. trying. that katie of yours is persuasive without even trying to be.

Unknown said...

I guess I will have to wait until next time too...or not...don't think the insanity would be condusive to love at our house. So proud of you guys.