Monday, May 10, 2010

A Comeback



Katie ordered a corsage for me for Mother's Day. I was pleasantly surprised. It was beautiful. She had read an article in Southern Living about some of the traditions that have been lost over the years, prompting her to order a corsage for me. I quote from the article:

"The Mother's Day Corsage

When I was a kid, if a mother came to church without a corsage from her children, the whole family went on everybody's prayerlist. Now almost nobody buys one, and that's a shame. Here's how it works. You choose the flowers for your mother's corsage based on whether her mother is living or dead. If her mother's living, she wears roses or carnations in pink or red. If her mother has crossed over, she wears white or yellow roses or an orchid. Everybody gets baby's breath. it's just the right thing to do."

Continuing on,

"Take the Pledge
Preserving our heritage takes commitment. We have to band together. So, ladies, wherever you are, stand up, raise your right hand, and repeat after me: I, (your name here), pledge to do my part to bring back the Mother's Day Corsage. I pledge to order corsages right this minute, before the florist runs out of the good stuff..."

This is the first time I have ever received a Mother's Day corsage, and I felt so special and honored. I was the only mother at church who wore one. I love that Katie read about this forgotten tradition and did her part to bring it back. Rachel thoughtfully helped her by picking it up from the florist. She was so excited for me to see it and with sparkling eyes she said, "There is something in the refrigerator for you from Katie." I appreciate that Shane offered to pin it on, but admitted very quickly he didn't know how and sent me across the drive way for Lori to help me.



It was amazing how one beautiful pink rose, combined with tiny flowers and some greenery could make me feel so special.

I am a traditionalist and gladly take the pledge and will help my sons teach their children to honor their mother's with a Mother's Day corsage each year for the rest of their lives.

Just so you know, because I didn't, you wear your corsage on the left shoulder...
Thank you, Katie, for taking the pledge and doing your part to bring back the Mother's Day Corsage!

2 comments:

Yo Mama said...

I love you so much, Mom. A corsage is the least I could do. Also, it's so pretty! I love you, love you, love you!

Suzi Hardy said...

I never knew all those things about the mother's day corsage. It makes me feel bad that I didn't (and never have had) a corsage for Mother's day. I am thinking about making the pledge, but I think I need to have Mike here when I do so he will understand the important part he plays in this tradition! I love and miss you!