Thursday, April 8, 2010

There's No Place Like Home!







After spending 8 weeks with Suzi, it feels great to be home. I can't even begin to describe her strength. The surgery and radiation were devastating to her physically, emotionally and mentally, but her spirit lives on! Her sense of humor wore a little thin, but I loved when it popped out. We spent many, many quiet days, while she slept and slept and slept and I read and read and read. On her good days I taught her how to dance the Shuffle and we danced away! We made several friends who are suffering from cancer too, the bubbly gift shop lady and finally won over Dustin, the parking garage booth person, by giving him cookies and candy. I know he will miss us, or at least the candy and cookies anyway! I left Utah with a desire to become a much better person by being more attentive to the important details of life that seem to get lost in the everyday shuffle. I will always be thankful that I was blessed to share this experience with Suzi, it was very difficult to watch her suffer, but how powerful her example was as she gracefully accomplished all that she could do so that she will live longer and bless all of us with her life. The Lord has been kind in allowing us to have her here with us, it is a special blessing. So here's to Suzi, in the words of Spock may she, "Live long and prosper."

5 comments:

Lori said...

Oh man, I'm glad you're home. (Glad you went too...you know, for all the right reasons, not because I didn't miss you...because I did.)

Jeigh said...

I'm so glad you were there for my mom. I wished so bad that I could be there, but knowing you were taking care of her relieved some of my stress. You're the best! I love you!

Sarahie said...

I have to echo what Jeigh said. I wished (and still wish) I could be there; I was so worried about my mom, but when I heard you were going to be with her for so long, a lot of the worry was put to rest. She is so blessed to have a sister like you (and, it's great that that turns you into my aunt!).

Erin said...

I know those people you were talking about! I'm glad you got to bond with them, the things they said to me there in that waiting room have changed me forever.
I am so glad that you were there with mom, too. I"m glad I got to spend a few days with you. It was nice to see you again. And I also agree with everything you said about mom...what a great example of quiet strength and courage! (And you are an example of those things to me, too!) I love you!
I also have to say that mom looks like my little Logan in that picture (except a little more girly =)

Suzi Hardy said...

I can see that it is dangerous for you to have old family pictures in your posession...I KNOW there are really bad pictures you could have used, so I am grateful you picked this one! Hahahaha. I can't express how blessed I am to have the family I have, sisters, brothers, husband, children...I love you all so very much. I spent alot of time sleeping, and a lot of time thinking and I have come away with a great desire to spend as much time as possible making sure that the people I love, (all of you) know how much I love you. I love, love, love love you all.