Thursday, April 23, 2009

Just Wondering

Thomas has not felt well this week and my arms are tired from holding him practically the whole week! I have thought several times about writing a post, but (sigh) Thomas has needed me. Today, I have browsed every one's blog with Thomas sitting quietly on my lap hanging over my arm looking at who knows what on the floor. I thought I could write a quick little post to say, "Here I am!" But, Thomas has seized the moment and is now pushing the keyboard with his feet and trying to grab the keys with fast, snatchy hands. What happened to the quiet little guy who was just sitting on my lap a second ago?

All this week I have found thoughts in my head like:
How did I do it with six kids day in and day out?
How did I clean my house in just one morning?
How did I cook a meal every night,
And keep up with the laundry
And mow the lawn all in the same day!
How did I keep my sanity?

We had one car and a small amount of money. I could only shop where there were shopping carts. No double stroller, no back packs or the snuggle things, just lots of kids and one me. When I did go grocery shopping with all six kids in tow, I would start out positive, fully believing, "This would be the time," there would be no crying, fighting or the golden question asked at least a million times, "Can I get this?" It would be a pleasant experience for the first minute in the store and then, well...I'll be silent on that part.

Now Thomas is wallowing in my lap - happy as a lark - trying as many new wallowing positions as he can come up with. I wonder why he doesn't want to sit on the floor and play with toys or twirl in his exersaucer? At the very least, he should be excited to try and crawl. But nope, it is so much more fun to sit twisting and turning in Grandma's lap; giving me sweet smiles and slobbery sucks on my arms, which does melt my heart and make me think yuck all at the same time.

After holding this squirming, mauling baby for most of the morning, and as the grandma I am wondering and you can answer honestly...

"What mother would miss a moment (repeated a million times) like this?"

Uh huh, honestly...



Well...go ahead...who's going to say me first?!

6 comments:

Yo Mama said...

NOT ME!! Did you read my last post. It's been one of those weeks.

Sarahie said...

I love this post. This week I have been wondering how I am going to pull anything off with two babies, especially when, right now, I can barely pull it off with one (and a quarter)! But, as I read your post, I am inspired by the thought that you did it (I believe quite successfully) with six, my mom did it with four, my sisters are doing it with three and four...God helps us, doesn't He? Thanks for reminding me that I am a mother and I am glad I'm a mother and I can do it!

Kay Marie said...

Yes you can Sarah, one day at a time and live to laugh about it! :)

Unknown said...

The photo screams the answer.....and thanks to mothers like you, the rest of us can have faith in ourselves.

"I think I can, I think I can...make it through this store without killing anyone" :) "well, if I can't, then I better at least wait until Dad is home and I can go by myself."

Alice Faye said...

Oh Kay! You sure captured the moment with your picture. Today I bore my testimony and I said, "I like hearing the little noises that come from children during Sacrament Meeting. Of course I admit that I like them mostly because I know I'm not the one taking them out!" Those were the days, weren't they? We made it though!!

Suzi Hardy said...

Not me!Very sweet blog. I love the memories of when my kids were little...ah they truly are the jewels in our crowns.