Thursday, January 29, 2009

J-E-L-L-O




"There's always room for Jell-O."
That is a motto my Mom lived by.
Almost every Sunday after church Mom would fix fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, some kind of vegetable & J-E-L-L-O. She rotated two versions of Jell-O:

JELL-O with fruit cocktail and banana's sliced on top
OR
JELL-O with fruit cocktail and marshmallows on top

I wasn't particularly fond of Jell-O, but after "starving to death" for an eternity while Mom cooked dinner...well...Jell-O seemed more delicious then it really was. I guess I had my fill of it growing up and now more often then not I will pass it by at any meal.

BUT, today is cold, rainy and blustery and the day is crying out for some good comfort food. So, I have meat loaf baking in the oven along with some sweet potatoes and green beans simmering on the stove. I was asking myself what else can I fix? And of all things Jell-O with fruit cocktail and marshmallows on top seemed perfect!

Shane might eat a bite of it or maybe not. Mutt will get a nice portion on her plate. And me...I'll eat some... not because I love Jell-O, but because I was thinking of Mom today and her Jell-O motto came to mind. "There's always room for Jell-O." And you know what? There is...maybe.

Jell-O Trivia:
Kraft Foods sells over a million boxes of Jell-O every day!

There have been 36 flavors of Jell-O produced so far. Consumers gave a "thumbs down" to Apple, Celery (yuck!), Chocolate (nice try), Coffee and Cola flavored Jell-O. And, you can only find Cranberry Jell-O during the months of November and December.

J-E-L-L-O

4 comments:

Yo Mama said...

Informative and nostalgic. The kind of post that i like. I would have eaten your smarchmellow (as Calvin would say) j-e-l-l-o. That sounds like comfort food to me.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha...good memories. I use to like the jello and the marshmellows, but I was not to keen on the fruit cocktail...it was hard to pick it out though and still get any jello. My favorite was the jello and bananas...especially on those times when mom would add whiped cream...but even so, I do not make jello very often, in fact, I can't really remember the last time when I did. I think it is because it takes so much long term planning to get it ready in time for dinner!

Alice Faye said...

When I lived in Utah my roommate and I would fix oven baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and whipped jello every Sunday. It must be a western thing. We loved it though!!

cally said...

Mmmm. I'm making meatloaf tonight.

And maybe jello. Maybe not.