Monday, June 1, 2009

Did You Know...

I'm a poet and have been published?

When I was a sophomore in high school I had Mrs. Cockran for English. She was older then dirt and was one of those, "I don't do guff, and you will behave in my class," kind of teachers. And we did. Her class was hard and I struggled every day. One day she announced that each year she published a book of "the best" writings and poetry written by her students. My reaction was "uh huh." I had no hope for me. She taught us about haiku. So I wrote what I thought was a haiku poem and asked her if I was right. Much to my amazement she got excited about my poem and said, "Yes, this is good!" She smiled and I smiled. I walked proudly back to my desk, took my pencil in hand and wrote more poetry... a writer had been born. I had two poems that were published. When I received my copy of "Reflections" I was so proud to turned to page 54 and see my name, Kay West, with my two poems.

The rest of the story...

One day Shane was trying to be sneaky and explain something to me, stating it was was haiku. I was able to sigh really big and say, "haiku is poetry." He laughed and smiled that knowing grin he has when he is caught trying to bluff me. Thank you Mrs. Cockran!

5 comments:

Crystal Copeland said...

What a beautiful picture of you!!

The Coatney's said...

first of all, you are beautiful! second, katie is so much like you. thank you for making katie such a wonderful, caring, poetry-writing, best, best friend. she is awesome just like her mom.

Unknown said...

I cannot believe how much you look like Katie in that photo...a little eery.

We want to hear the poem!

Alice Faye said...

You haven't changed a bit!! Wish I could say the same.

Katina Angola said...

So I guess we know where Katie gets it from now. Good pic too.