Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Baby, A Ninety Year Old and Hershey Kisses



Me, Thomas and Mutt went on an adventure today.

Before we left I made sure Thomas had a full tummy, and a nice fresh diaper.

I lugged that heavy car seat with "the boy" in it to the car, and I helped that 90 year old "roll" into the car. We made it to our adventure with 5 minutes to spare and in a few short minutes "Ophelia Cox" was called.

YES!

The nurse took Mutt's vitals and said, "The doctor will be right in."
Mutt snickered and said, "Sure she will."

I barely had enough time to get Thomas out of the car seat. He looked very cute touching his toes when the doctor walked through the door.

Yahda, yahda, yahda...Mutt would be getting a cortisone shot for her arthritis.
Blah, blah, blah...and starting insulin shots.

There was a bit of drama with the cortisone injection. Dr. Kinzy was pressing on Mutt's shoulder and asked, "Is this where it hurts?"
Mutt had her eyes closed tight and her face scrunched up thinking she was getting the injection.
Dr. Kinzy, "Ms. Cox...Ms. Cox. I need to know where it hurts."
I said, "Mutt...Mutt...."
Dr. Kinzy said, "Ms Cox open your eyes, it's just my finger."
Mutt said, "Oh" and cackled that old person kind of cackle and told her where it hurt.
Then she tightly closed her eyes and scrunched up her face again in preparation for the injection.

Dr. Kinzy and I talked about rebellious teenagers and then she told me the nurse would train me on giving insulin injections.

In anticipation of a quick get away I put Thomas back in his car seat, thinking it wouldn't take long...until the nurse pulled the directions out of the box...unfolded the paper... laid it down... smooth out the wrinkles... and proceeded to cover EVERY step with me. Don't get me wrong, I was happy she did, but it was obvious she was oblivious to the baby in the car seat making restless noises.

I rushed that baby and 90 year old out the door fully intent on making it home BEFORE "the boy" fussed. I was confident we could until I drove to the door to pick up Mutt, but there was no Mutt. Just where does a 90 year old disappear to? I waited, and waited. Children are the ones who disappear not 90 year olds! Finally, she came fast hobbling on her "stick" (cane). I fast walked her (except a 90 year old's fast walk is still slow) to the car, helped her roll into the seat and with the click of the seat belt Thomas let out his first "I going to loose it cry."

I said a silent, desperate, "NOOOO!"
Then he used his, "O.K. I've lost it" cry and cut loose.
After 5 tense minutes of pure torture he quit crying and Mutt said, "He sure goes to sleep fast doesn't he."
Once we arrived home I helped that 90 year old rock and roll her way out of the car.

I lugged that heavy car seat with "the boy" fast asleep back into the house and held him for a few minutes to make sure he was SOUNDLY asleep before I laid him down.

THEN



I walked right to the candy dish and grabbed a hand full of Hershey Kisses. I didn't even let the first 5 melt in my mouth I just chewed and swallowed. I repeated that with a second hand full, barely tasting the chocolate. With the third handful I was able to let them partially melt in my mouth and enjoy that nice chocolate taste. By the fourth hand full my stress had melted away and I was in a state of chocolate bliss.

4 comments:

Alice Faye said...

Oh Kay! What an adventure and you tell it so well. Every time I take Mom to Wally World, I loose her. I just don't understand how she gets out of my sight but she does. We don't go there anymore. I just take her down the street to a much smaller grocery store where I can keep up with her.

Jeigh said...

I've done that with Kisses before! Sometimes you have to have some satisfying hard-chocolate chewing before you can get to the slow, melty chocolate. I totally understand.

And I thought it was so funny how Mutt scrunched up her face waiting for her shot and was so focused that she tuned out you and the doctor.

Unknown said...

Man, I thought that I was in the hard stage of life. :)

Yo Mama said...

I know that feeling of thinking that the other person is comepletely unaware of the disaster that they are navigating you towards. Didn't you just want to grad the instructions from the nurse and very quickly say, "thanks, i'll call you if I need ya."