Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Love the Scriptures

I read a talk by Elder Bednar entitled Understanding the Importance of Scripture Study. He asked, "Why is studying the scriptures so important?" And then gave three reasons:

1. Because of the covenants we have made.
2. Because of the direction we need in our lives.
3. Because scripture study is a preparation for and prerequisite to receiving personal revelation.

He stated, "Covenants, direction, and revelation are three doctrinal reasons why studying the scriptures is so important."

Elder Bednar said, "I want to draw your attention to the second covenantal obligation to "always remember him." I do not know of a better way to always remember him than to daily study the scriptures. That covenant is not an abstract notion. It can be honored in meaningful, personal prayer every morning and night and in diligent study of the scriptures."

His last two General Conference addresses on prayer go hand in hand with this talk.

I love the scriptures and the tender times when the Spirit is teaching me and revealing to me pure knowledge. What a choice blessing it is to be tutored by the Spirit. I know that I have received personal revelation and enlightenment concerning the doctrines and principles of the Church. I have also received personal revelation for myself, about my concerns for our children and loved ones ,as well as for countless life experiences. I know how the Spirit speaks to me because I have study the scriptures.

I love the simplicity of Elder Bednar's statement, "I do not know of a better way to always remember him then to daily study the scriptures."

1 comment:

Suzi Hardy said...

I too love the scriptures. I especially am eager to study them as a way of weeding out the true and false that I am learning as I go to school. I love the inspiration that comes when I emerse myself in my scripture study. I am also gladened to read your thoughts on the scriptures and the way they have blessed your life. What a great blessing in our lives to have the word of God and to be able to share our feelings about them. Thanks!
I love you soo sooo much.
Suzi

PS I am glad that you are liking my Communication is Essential series. I have been so excited about what I am learning and am trying to apply it to home, family and marriage, through the gospel. Please share your insights with me too...you have good insights.