Friday, February 27, 2009

When Thomas Wears His Tie

Thomas wore his tie today, it is a business tie. It may look cute, but it makes him very serious about everything! Since he can’t verbalize his feelings at his tender age of 7 months, he bosses me around with his cries. Sometimes I have to remind him I am the boss. I just tell him what I told his mother, “Because I said so, that’s why!”

Today Thomas cried because:
He was sleepy
I took too long warming his bottle
I laid him down for a minute
He was playing and having fun, but saw me and well, you know…cried
I didn’t let him play with a plastic bag
I washed his face
I left him to go wash my hands after I changed his diaper (repeated four times)
I “made” him play in his exersaucer
He dropped his toy
Oh, did I mention he was sleepy again?
Etc…etc…etc.

After one too many cries, I put his pacifier in his mouth, snuggled him in my arms, settled into the rocking chair and asked him, “Why are you crying? Are you tired? Do you need me to hold you?” And with that he snuggled right down and fell asleep as we blissfully rocked some time away.

Later when I, oh so quietly snuck in the room to check on him, he was sleeping as sweetly as only a baby can. I was having one of those "tender" moments savoring how sweet he looked, when much to my horror his eyes popped open locking with mine. Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, all the "isn't that sweet" feeling was gone! In great haste I tried to “sneak” out before he “really” saw me, but he didn't play fair and used his very bossy tie cry... and with a sigh, I turned back around. In a voice of resignation I asked, “Thomas, why do I need to pick you up?”
He said, “Because I said so, that’s why.” So I did.

3 comments:

Suzi Hardy said...

Hahahaha that's a really funny shirt. He is tooooo small to be doing business. What a sweet little guy, with a good blend of both his parents. He is growing up fast.
By the way, I don't know what you did by that google friend thing is on my kids blogs too!!!

Alice Faye said...

What a sweet looking baby even if he doesn't sleep as long as want him to. Ah, I remember those days!

Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogging world...I was so excited to see your name over at Faye's blog.

I knew we would hook you on this modern technology eventually.

I absolutely love this photo of Thomas....so darling. He looks SO serious in that top photo and he is cracking me up with the tie....darling darling.