Friday, February 13, 2009

My Man Shane



Thirty four years sounds like a long time.

It's longer then I lived at home.

It's longer then our children lived with us.

It's the longest thing I have ever done.

But it has only deepened my love for Shane.

It has only helped me discover who my true love is.

He is constant in his love for me.

He is steadfast in his love of the Lord.

He is diligent in working on the success of our family.

He is always there.

Always.

I know my life is good because of him.

He is handsome.

Sometimes I call him Walter (Walter Mitty).

Sometimes I call him Gator or Teasy Weezy.

I tell him to stop a lot, but he doesn't.

He says, and I quote, "You know you like it."

"Why do you get to decide what teasing is?"

"Kay, come here."

"How much do you love me?"

I say, "A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck."

Each night as we drift off to sleep his last words are,

"You mean everything to me, I love you so much."

Every night.

Then we quietly go off to sleep.

The sun comes up bringing a new day.

Another day of love.

With my one and only.


Happy Anniversary Shane!

13 comments:

Yeagers said...

You guys are so inspirational! I think we all could benefit from a class on "Life Lessons" from y'all. No wonder your kids are all so amazing! If only I knew what a treasure I had in a seminary teacher at the time, maybe I would've made it a point to go to bed earlier at night so I could be more alert at 6AM. That's life in retrospect, huh? Well, congrats on your anniversary! We miss you guys!

Suzi Hardy said...

That was very sweet. As one who is working on their 33rd year of marriage, I can relate to doing something longer than a lot of things I have ever done. But how nice to get this far in life and look around and find that you are still standing side by side with your best friend.

Crystal Copeland said...

Wow. Seriously I got all teary eyed. How sweet. I look up to your entire family so much. You are such an example of everything we strive to be as a family! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

WOW mom that was very tearful! I love you and dad alot and thank you for being the best parents! thank you for the examples you and dad share and have taught me!

Lori said...

Happy anniversary!!

Sarahie said...

That was such a pleasure to read. It is the kind of love I am working towards and such a good example of what eternal marriage is. Thanks! Happy anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, you were a wonderful seminary student! I have loved watching you as a wife and mother. I miss having your little family in the pew in front of us on Sunday. I went out of town and you were here, I came back and you had moved. I was shocked! I miss you. Kay

Yo Mama said...

I thought at first that your were writing about Tom again. Kidding. I love you and Dad together. Always, always, always. Thank you for loving each other.

Alice Faye said...

What a nice story. I think I will go cuddle next to mine.

La Memster said...

I love you both so much! This put a smile on my face and gave me the strength to push on a little longer! ;-) Thanks for being the best! :-D

Katy Beth said...

You two are the sweetest. I love you guys! Thank you for being such a wonderful example.

cally said...

Does he really say that EVERY night?

Did Shane wear his orange tux out to dinner?

This was really sweet. What I love is that you tell him no, I'm not going to rub your back, but you do anyways. You lub him.

Thanks for loving eachother in front of your kids.

Unknown said...

That just brought a tear to my eye...I hope LG comes up with a nice amazing thing like that to say every night...and when we make it to 24 years I won't even remember that he didn't say it for the first 12.

so so sweet.